Wednesday, 29 February 2012

Great War British HMG Rust wip (Part 2)

Here's the finished picture of the rusted wrinkly tin.

I used the pigments to add some texture to the rusted areas,
I used Mig Productions Rust & added beach sand to lighten it for highlights,
these were mixed with car screen wash & dabbed on as appropriate
the when dry I rubbed of the pigment with an old brush if there was too much on.
I used mig pigment fixer was than used (surprisingly) to fix the pigment in place!
This is basically how I do rust,
whether its the same way as others do it I don't know.
It's the best way that I've found up to press, but things might change.


7 comments:

  1. I've not tried the MIG pigments, but having seen these excellent results I'll be tempted to pick some up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been happy with them, i got one of the Forgeworld ones & that seems ok too.

      Delete
  2. Fantastic Keith. That looks really good. I particularly like the part where the metal has been torn or shredded. Can you please give us the low-down on using car screen wash - that's a new one for me, but I'd love to know the thinking behind that (and it clearly works). Something about accelerated evaporation times?? Thanks again - it looks really splendid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers. I use screen wash as a flow aid when thinning paints & making washes. I have used thinners in the past, but the last time I used pigments I had run out so just used the screen wash instead of water & I thought that it worked as it seems to evaporate quicker than water, but not as quick as thinners, so thee's slightly more working time, well so more of a happy accident than anything else.

      Delete
  3. Thanks Keith. Most useful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant explanation Keith. It's certainly a bit more involved than the 'splodge of orange paint and a bit of wash' that I was hoping for ;o)

    Thanks

    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks fella's.

    Sorry Matt, I wish it was just 'splodge of orange paint and a bit of wash' it would be a lot easier, to be honest though you could get away with missing half of the layers that I do & get a similar effect.

    I've finished putting the figures on the base & hiding the joins tonight so should have the finished pictures next week.

    ReplyDelete