Monday, 21 September 2026

Sci-Fi Base Run Through

 I thought I would do a quick run through of how I've being tackling the bases for the Doctor Who collection.

I use a mixture of Green stuff & Milliput, depending what I grab first, sometimes on its own or mixed.

I roll it out using a bit of copper pipe & some strips of plastic to get the height i want, then 2 thinner strips for the texture roller to try to keep the putty imprint level. I spray the putty with a mist of water to try to stop the rollers sticking. I had been using a thin silicone mat to roll everthing out on, but it was too thin & I got a lot of wonky bases so have stopped using it.

I Found a Copper Pipe Reducer that is the right diameter to fit inside the lipped bases & i use this to cut the discs out with.

All the gubbins: Texture rollers, Copper pipe 'rolling pin', Plastic Strip Height Guides, 

Pipe Reducer & Putty

Pile of bases good & Bad (Hopefully the bad ones can be used for the Ice Warriors)

I start painting them with a base of Vallejo Green Grey then Sponge Deck Tan on top & Follow this with a wash of Blue Grey that I mixed up from Grey & Blue Inks,
The next process is a light sponging of Deck tan. 
This is followed by some weathering by sponging on Black Brown & Dark Rust & finally just tidy up the base edges with black.

Vallejo Paint Selection: Blue Grey Ink Wash, Green Grey, Deck Tan, Black brown & Dark Rust



Bits of Blister Pack Sponge & Weathering Sponge Tool from Notts Hobbies



Green Grey Base Coat & Sponged on Deck Tan



Blue Grey wash & light Deck Tan sponging


Black Brown & Dark Rust Weathering Sponged on

I hope that someone find this useful.

No comments:

Post a Comment